Sunday, January 24, 2021

Pranams to Musician of Musicians

 Pranams from  Raja thatha to Sri Thanjavur  Sankara  Iyer, the 97  year  old musician  of  Musicians

By

P.R.Ramachander



   All of you know  that translation to  English  stotras  and Krithis  is my  major hobby  .I spend a  lot of time in this

   Some 12 years  when  I was  translating  carnatic Krithis , I happened to  translate  12  Krithis  of a composer  called Thanjavur Sankara  Iyer , Recently in face book  I read  that  this great composed  celebrated  his 97th  birthday  a few days back.  I could locate   many  of his Krithis  written  mainly  in Sanskrit, Tamil and Telugu and I Started   translating all of them .While   doing so  I wanted to know  mre about him

   I understood that  he is 97  and lives  some where  in Chennai . To my surprise I  found  that  he is not  an ordinary  composer.  I found  that

 

1.He  was perhaps  the only composer to write  a  Carnatic  Krithi  praising   Saint  Vivekananda
Krithi  Praising saint  Vivekananda 

Nara  janmam kanda  dhera  https://translationsofsomesongsofcarnticmusic.blogspot.com/2021/01/nara-janmam-kadai-theratamil.html

 

2.I found  he was one  of the rare  composers  who wrote  krithis   when Natural  calamities   attacked  India

 

a..Prayer  Krithi  when the tidal   waves attacked  Chennai he wrote

 

Mahadeva  Shiva Shambho https://translationsofsomesongsofcarnticmusic.blogspot.com/2012/10/mahadeva-shiva.html

 

b.Prayer   Krithi after   Gujarath   earth quake 

Porutharulvaaye  Bhooma devi

https://translationsofsomesongsofcarnticmusic.blogspot.com/2012/10/mahadeva-shiva.html

 

3.He was  one of  those   rare  composers  who wrote  a krithi, to save the world and also praing  for progress  of our country

Ranganayakiye   un  charanam   https://translationsofsomesongsofcarnticmusic.blogspot.com/2021/01/ranga-nayakiye-un-charanamtamil.html


This 81  year old Thatha  does  sashtanga  namaskaram  to this  97  year old  great  composer cum vocalist   as well as  a Hari Katha exponent




No comments:

Post a Comment