Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Humble request to all my friends

Dear Friends, About 3 years back, When I went to Mumbai on a visit from an old friend, I got a book of translations, Of Thagaraja Krithis in to tamil by Brahma sri Balakrishna satrigal. Reading that gave me an impetous, To translate these krithis in to English and start a blog page with these translations. As I had a Tolerable knowledge of Telugu, I started this job in right earnest. Since I had better grasp of Tamil, Sanskrit , Malayalam and Kannada , side by side I started searching for books and web sites Of Krithis in these languages and started translating them as well side by side. Since I was also Busy with translation of stotras the progress was considerably slow. But the enchanting lyrics Drenched in devotion attracted me. Possibly I did pay more attention to krithis in Tamil. Today (2-4-2012) I had just completed the translation of 700 krithis in 6 different languages viz Sanskrit(194), Telugu(116), Tamil(258), Kannada(70) and Malayalam (6), Hindi (13) besides wedding songs Written in south Indian languages(46) .Since most of these songs are of 8-10 lines, this progress Is not that great. Among the great composers whom I have covered are Thyagraja(102), Purandara (55), Muthuswami deekshidhar(37), Oothukadu Venkata Subba iyer (28), Neelakanda Sivan(18), Subramanya Bhararthi(33), Papanasam Sivan(33), Ambujam Ktrishna (25), B.Rama murthy Rao (60), Kalyani Varadarajan (11), Sadashiva Brahmendra (17), Muthaiah Bhagawathar (18) , and one or two krithis of various composers. I know that there are short comings and I beg your pardon for the same. I would be thankful for any person who points out the errors committed by me. In this job Sri Chakravarthi Madhusudan had helped me a lot with the translation of krithis of Purandara dasa. For most of them he is also associated in the translation. Discussions in forums like Humma and Rasika have helped me a lot in understanding the meaning of many krithis. All my translations could be found in http://translationsofsomesongsofcarnticmusic.blogspot.com/ www.celextel.org and http://stotraratna.sathyasaibababrotherhood.org/SINDEX.htm My knowledge in this field is extremely limited. I request all of you to send as many translations as you can make to me(ramya475 at hotmail dot com), so that I can put them in the above web sites under your authorship. Not only me but all the young musicians, who would very much like to know what they are singing would be extrelely grateful to you P.R.Ramachander

No comments:

Post a Comment