Thursday, August 15, 2019

My translation of Carnatic music Krithis- One of my achievements


My  translation  of  Carnatic music  Krithis- One of my achievements

By
P.R.Ramachander



     I used to like   to hear  Carnatic music sung  but  I was sad   that  I was not able to understand   the meaning  of the songs that  are  being sung. Accidentally  a very pretty book called  “thyagopanishad”    by Sri.T.S.Balakrishna   Sastrigal fell in to my hands  .It contained   tamil meanings of 57   Thyagaraja  Krithis. This book launched me    as a translator  of Carnatic music Krithis. Compared    to the great translators of Carnatic Music Krithis  , I am just    a big zero  but  , I used my   strength as a   multi linguist to keep  on translating  Carnatic  Music Krithis  .It was  t that  time, I  visited Mumbai   and my  daughter(my elder sisater in law’s  daughter)  Ms Meenakshi Muthuswamy  put in my hand a  tamil book   containing   the meaning of all  Krithis of Thyagaraja. I spent  lots and lots of time    to translate  the great Krithis of Sri thyagaraja  using that book.Side by side  I was translating  Krithis of  OOthukadu, Purandara Dasa, Gopalakshna Bharathi  , Neelakanta Shivan,  Arunnachala Kavirayar  and so on  and so on .Even then I am no where near the  giant like   translators ofdCarnatic  Music. But I realized  that  I have done a great job  , when  I started getting   requests  for English translation of  Krithis    from several   dance schools   in USA, England  , Australia etc and I feel that  this is  one of my great   achievement .

        I have also translated   several Krithis of Muthuswami Deekshithar, Goapalakrishna Bharathi  (including Nandanar Charitham) , Arunachala Kavi Rayar , Ambujam Krishna , Ashok Madha,  G.N.Balasubramnyam  , Koteeswara iyer   so on and on, totalling to around 3000 Krithis.  I think this is one of my great achievements

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful offering sir! Thank you so much for your hard work 😊🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. JKR Resort & Spa - 5 star hotel in Rameswaram. One of the best hotels in Rameswaram located in the heart of the city. One of the Prime Hotels in Rameswaram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really feel grateful after reading this well written piece, for more information on how to learn Carnatic music online in India visit Artium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really feel grateful after reading this well written piece, for more information on how to learn Carnatic music online in India visit Artium.

    ReplyDelete